Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bananas and oatmeal


Is there anything that smells more like home than banana bread baking in the oven.  I've eaten so much of it over the years that I tend to steer away from the almighty banana.  But as I was cleaning up the kitchen yesterday I saw those spotted fruit staring at me; begging to be thrown into a mixing bowl.  Okay fine but I need something else; oatmeal.  I looked up an oatmeal and banana loaf recipe and found it on allrecipes.com; which is one of my favorite recipe site.

I very rarely make a recipe as is; I typically switch things out when I think it would be better.  Most of the time it works; sometimes I should have followed the recipe.  This was great as I changed it.  I switched out shortening for butter; and used brown sugar instead of white.  I cut the sugar in half and used 1/2 cup of honey as well.  I added chopped pecans for some extra protein and chopped some giant raisins up and tossed them in as well.  It is really great; heavier than the fluffy type loaf but definitely leaves you feeling like you just ate something that will stick to your ribs.  Ingredients below:


  • 1/2 cup butter

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar

  • 1/2 cup honey

  • 2 eggs, beaten

  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1 cup oats

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (I used three medium)

  • 1/2 cup chopped raisins (optional)

  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (chopped myself; so they were larger than the prechopped ones)
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment