Monday, January 17, 2011

Bread again

                                                           I made three baguette shapes.

Okay; it seems that I talk about bread a lot.  But I have to tell you about the bread I made tonight, it was really great.  I decided to make lentils this morning, it's an easy way to have dinner ready with no fuss.  There is nothing better than fresh bread with lentils so I tried to find an oatmeal bread recipe.  Not an easy task, just about everything is loaf type bread, I wanted bread bread.  I finally found a recipe but like most it is for bread makers which I don't have.  So I altered it for my cooking needs and it was fabulous.


  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup  oats
  • 3 cups  flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup honey (called for molasses but I used honey)
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 cups water

The recipe was for a bread maker so I'll just tell you what I did with the ingredients.  Put the yeast, oats, flour and salt in the mixer.  Heat the water to approx. 80 degrees and pour into flour mixture while slowly mixing.  Add oil and honey and continue mixing.  Mix well and put on the bread attachment, continue mixing for approx. 3 min.  Oil a large bowl and put dough in and roll around covering the dough with oil.  Cover with clean dish towel and place somewhere warm.  Let rise until double in size.  Punch down and let rest.  Form into whatever shape of loaf you like.  Cover with towel and place in warm area to rise double sized again.  Bake at 400 for approx. 10-15 min. until golden brown.  

This is a great recipe, the bread was so good that I ate way too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment